vwsport

VWsport.com
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:10 am 
Site Admin

programable Ignition/fuel injection systems
by Stephan van Tonder
Hi there guys. I am from South Africa and I see a lot of questions going around this site about timing and injection systems to cater for the particular setup on turbo cars. I have read on sds's site what they have a what the price is like. In south africa it is quite expensive to buy from america as the Rand/$ conversion rate hovers around the 6.5 mark. We do have some very good systems being made here that might interest you guys on this site. Because the opposite is true that for you to buy from here might be quite cheap considering the exchange rate again. The guys out here is digital data systems and trading under the name perfect power. (web address www.perfectpower.co.za). They make systems to cater for ignition only and full fuel injection + ignition systems - all of which is fully programable from a laptop pc. I must say that I have no interest in the business i'm just a customer to them. I run a ignition only module on a toyota ldv (2.4 litre petrol know as 4 runner in the states)which I modified to run a T2.5 Garrett at about 9 PSI with standard 9:1 compression ratio and it works like a charm as it has an absolute manifold presure sensor so you can run advance when off boost and retard(up to 44 degrees either way) when the boost comes on. It also can look at intake charge temp and retard or advance according to that. Pricing is in the vicinity of $220 for the ignition only module(converted from 1400 rand). It uses almost any input trigger including hall sender magnetic or even points! or multiple tooth with tdc pickup.
They also have other products like turbo fuellers and Nos fuellers. Check it out!!! Cheers I enjoy your site. I also have an 1800 16v A1 and a 2l 8v A2 that is why i look at this site.

Posted on Mar 23, 2000, 6:59 AM
from IP address 196.34.250.5

And the Price is>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
by Ragtop78
I asked those guys about the system yesterday and got the following reply,

Dear Brian

Thank you for your interest in our company.

The price for a MIC3 is $634 US and the shipping is approximately $150.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Cindy

That seems to be a better deal for a more complete kit than the one from SDS.

Posted on Mar 24, 2000, 12:47 PM
from IP address 207.231.93.25

ECU
by Chuck B (UFO motorsports)MN.
Let me know if you are going to order that Ecu.Maybe we can split the shipping?

Posted on Mar 25, 2000, 6:58 AM
from IP address 216.17.8.13

G60 harness in a turbo rabbit
by RDL
I plan on putting a G60 harness w/a 1.8 G60 motor in my 77 rabbit with a Callaway turbo on it.
My questions are 1. will this work well for an injection system? cannot afford a programable system right now. 2. should I use a hp kit such the neuspeed, w/the hobbs switch, chip, obviously not the pulley, cam 260? 3. is ther anyhting I should do to the harness to make the car run better? 4. will a 2.0 crossflow head work on the bottom end without raising the compression too high? and is it worth putting the head on anyway?

Posted on Mar 20, 2000, 10:46 PM
from IP address 209.245.115.2

Untitled
by Dolemite
My questions are
1. will this work well for an injection system? cannot afford a programable system right now.
Absolutely
2. should I use a hp kit such the neuspeed, w/the hobbs switch, chip, obviously not the pulley, cam 260?
Not worth the money,But if you have it,use it.

3. is ther anyhting I should do to the harness to make the car run better?
No
4. will a 2.0 crossflow head work on the bottom end without raising the compression too high?
Yes with some oil drain modifications.
and is it worth putting the head on anyway?
No

Posted on Mar 20, 2000, 10:50 PM
from IP address 209.204.89.79

G60 rabbit
by RDL
thanks for the reply. more questions 1. why is the hp kit not worth the $ won't I need the higher pressure rising rate fpr from the 944t? 2.what is the most boost I can run w/ the stock injectors? the turbo is effecient to approx 18psi 3. should I remove the boost check valve/idle stablizer it looks like it will not do anything with the turbo system

Posted on Mar 20, 2000, 11:11 PM
from IP address 209.245.115.2

Digifant I
by ZVW666
>>thanks for the reply. more questions 1. why is the hp kit not worth the
$ won't I need the higher pressure rising rate fpr from the 944t? 2.what
is the most boost I can run w/ the stock injectors? the turbo is
effecient to approx 18psi 3. should I remove the boost check valve/idle
stablizer it looks like it will not do anything with the turbo system <<

Well, your better off using and adustible FPR for tunability. Its not a rising rate FPR, its boost referenced. I run 15lbs on pump gas with my setup. You don't need the reroute, thats for the g-ladder. You could run a pipe from the extra butterfly on the throttle body to a BOV. The FI needs the ISV tho. You don't need the HP kit because the only thing you can use is the cam, and i am running a stock cam and ran a 13.3 so far.

Zach

Posted on Mar 22, 2000, 7:36 AM
from IP address 205.188.197.169

Paddling in this boat too
by Ragtop78
Im about to put the G60 setup in my MkI Roc along with a 16V turbo. Why? Because I got all the G60 stuff super cheap.

I am looking in to the groups insight about this system, what chip to use and how much of the G60 sensors and shit is required to make it work.

Im using the stock 16V Roc throttle body and planning on a BOV along the intake tube somwhere along with the G60 potentiometer/airmeter thingy.

Posted on Mar 22, 2000, 5:11 PM

Try garret
by Chuck B (UFO motorsports)MN.
giacusa He makes a chip for the 16v G60,that should work pretty well.

Posted on Mar 23, 2000, 7:36 PM
from IP address 216.17.9.117

SDS
by IFIXVWS
Anyone using the SDS system??
What do you think of it?
What type of boost are you running w/it??
Thanx

Posted on Mar 20, 2000, 5:57 PM
from IP address 209.32.217.62

SDS YES
by Dolemite
Look at http://users.snip.net/~str8g/ 3 of the 4 cars on that page have SDS and the 4th one is being converted soon.
Dolemite

Posted on Mar 20, 2000, 10:47 PM
from IP address 209.204.89.79

sds
by Kurt West
I'm running a Garrett T3 10 pounds of boost, on a 1.8 non-xflow, Still building the car it will be done end of april, a 50hp shot of NOS will be also
used if it is needed.

Posted on Apr 4, 2000, 11:39 AM
from IP address 24.72.7.196

Questions on mitsu turbo
by Seth
Hello,
I have an 85 Golf GTI. I am interested in a 2.0 liter conversion with forced induction. I have several 8v (1.8) heads, including one modified to accept an audi 5000 intake. (cut off runner, extensive porting) I also have a 1996 2.0 short block and a mitsu TD05H-14B turbo and a custom fabbed manifold.

Questions-
Is this a properly sized turbo?

What to do about compression ratio?

Is anyone interested in 1.8L head style CNC machined exhaust flanges?

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 6:59 PM
from IP address 24.218.244.54

Turbo Talk
by Dolemite
I'm pretty sured the 14b is good for 300 some hp you didn't mention if you had a 6 or 7 cm housing?To find out more about mitsu turbos go to www.dsm.org I'd be interested in a flange or 2
Dolemite

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 9:45 PM
from IP address 209.204.89.149

DSM sites
by 90VT
You should also check out clubdsm.com lots of info and links to turbo related subjects.

Posted on Mar 18, 2000, 3:52 AM
from IP address 152.163.213.62

exhaust flanges
by seth
Dolemite, et al.

The flange I machined was for the 1.8 8v head, I dunno if this fits a 16v. They were mild steel (ASTM A36) and 1/2 inch thick. I have to see if I can find the disk with the drawing. If I can find a bunch of takers, I could get some new ones made. But if it's not at least 10 or 20, then the CNC setup charge gets to be rather high.

Posted on Mar 19, 2000, 6:26 PM

Untitled
by Anonymous
The flange I machined was for the 1.8 8v head, I dunno if this fits a 16v<<<

The 16v one is ALOT different

Posted on Mar 19, 2000, 9:43 PM
from IP address 209.204.91.153

CNC?
by DannyBoy
The flange's don't need to be CNC'd, and even easier if they are 16v (round) flanges. I'm planning to make some manifolds soon but still don't know what to charge. I think around 350 canadian..

lemme know ppls!

DAN

Posted on Mar 20, 2000, 12:59 PM
from IP address 216.154.51.29

About that manifold...
by A1turbo
I might be interested, depends on the specs. Will it work on an A1 with 16V head w/o cutting up the car? External wastegate? What turbo is it for? Etc...
I'd like to see some pics of the manifold design.

Posted on Mar 20, 2000, 3:22 PM
from IP address 128.6.248.194

re: About that manifold
by seth
A1Turbo-
I wasn't planning on selling the manifold, just flanges. I am not gonna use that particular manifold, and might sell it, but it is designed around an A2 GTI 8V with a Mistbishi TD05H-14B (early eclipse/talon) turbo. It works, but I have a hard time porting it and am worried it might warp.

I do have a A1 dual downpipe to turbo converter fabbed up. It doesn't have a flange for the turbo, but bolts to the early us spec dual outlet 8 valve cast manifold. Might be of use to someone with an 8V turbo setup.

-Seth

Posted on Mar 20, 2000, 8:18 PM

I'm interested
by vlksdragon
I'm interested in this setup. Can you provide me with more details and perhaps pics?
thanks....

Posted on Mar 21, 2000, 12:33 PM
from IP address 208.44.88.238

a1 dual downpipe to turbo converter
by arvcube
your response to one of the other responses caught my attention. would like to know more about your dual downpipe to turbo converter setup. am turbo-ing my rabbit pick-up with a small rhb5 turbo just to see how it runs. if good, then planning on putting one on my rocco. more details and pics would be great. im new to the turbo stuff so any info would be helpful
thanks
arv

Posted on Mar 23, 2000, 1:13 AM
from IP address 205.188.199.136

flanges again
by seth
Sounds like most of you want 16V flanges. I could draw up some of them, if there was demand, and it sounds like there is. I CNC'd them because it was nice and neat, I had access to one at the time, and you could get oval ports with no problems. By the way, 1-1/4" steamfitters pipe (ASTM A106 weld "els") match perfectly with the 8V ports. I'll try to get a pic of the flange on my web site soon, but don't hold your breath.

Try this for what I am doing with the intake. Flame away. This is an old pic, as the intakes are done, the exhaust is next.

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sethea/home.html

Posted on Mar 20, 2000, 6:18 PM

turbo blues
by Dred
First let me say "Nuff Respect" to this forum. I have a '91 gti 16v and have finally gotten all the parts togather for my turbo project. I'm running a Garrett t3 with a .60 comp. and .48 turb. trim, front mount cooler (modified 5000 unit), Fuel rail, deltagate II, and I even have all the pieces made-up to go crank trigger. First, can this size turbo flow enough to produce an efficient 250hp. Also how much can this cooler support or flow. It will be a while for me to finish a built bottom-end but was told that I can run up to 10psi on the stock bottom without lowering the compression. how true is this? Fuel!!!Can I safely go the route of having the chip remapped for boost, if so how much will this support (hp/ boost). Would the G60 (mapped for 16v) make sense if bigger injectors are used or is the any other options for under $500 or should I keep saving and waiting. The reason is that I want the sds system but still need a lot of info on which one, price, installations, and experiences. So for now I just want to get the car up and running with low boost. Finally does anyone have a ballpark figue on how much the sds will set me back with sensors. Can I use just the injection setup or is the Ignition/ injection that much better. I can use all the info I can get on how well the sds works and which one is best for the money. I know this is kinda long but I need all the help I can get as I got shafted by the guy who was doing the car for me...

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 10:56 AM
from IP address 216.77.209.188

re:turbo blues
by Paul
That T3 would be good to about 200hp becoming inefficient after that. I dont have the maps handy but I run a 60/.63 on my BMW and have noticed after about 13psi that the post intercooler air temp increases drastically (ie inefficient). I have the same intercooler(have to love junkyards $10 for it, hehe). Should be fine for awhile. Dolemite would be best to answer the motor questions, but seems about right. As for the SDS I have upgraded to the F kit and believe that it will be worth the extra bit of money. If you do go at least with the E kit, otherwise you will spend just as much or more with some other aftermarket ignition to handle ignition retard.

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 2:39 PM
from IP address 209.82.19.12

16v turbo tech.
by Paul W.
A better question is where to start.First off the turbo is alittle undersized.I would recomend a super60 or a compresor out of a nissan 300zx `84. the intercooler I am familair with, i have run it on my golf two years ago.it works well but i heard it comes apart at the clamps in the high teens.Good starter though.as far as how much boost with 10.8-1 depends on the quality of air fuel and ign timing. I would`nt push it past 8 psi myself on pump gas.the sds system to use is either the em3-e or em3-f with coil packs.i use the em2e wich is the predocessor to the em3e and love it, you have full control over ign. and fuel up to 30 psi..it your choice the em-3f is alittle more difficult to install as fas as the crank trigger but gets rid of the distributor. So save your money and get sds, they can get you in the ball park with some programming and between us there plenty of help avalibe.the reprogrammed oem junk will get you going but limit you sooner than you think..WWW.SDSEFI is the site price it for yourself. I built my turbo 16v in the spring of 97 for under five g`s complete..good luck

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 8:44 PM
from IP address 152.163.207.176

Turbo Blues!
by Sean (ToAStER!)
My friend's 16v scirocco is making 253hp but he's running a hybrid T3/T4 at 15psi w/ the stock bottom end. However, he's also lowered his compression. He tried leaving it stock at one point, but it started pinging. I'm sure it's related to the piston design.. the 16v pistons are flat. The 8V pistons are dished and take much better to turbocharging w/o lowering the compression. I've heard of others not lowering the compression on 16v's... I dunno the results. BTW, I'm not a big Autotech fan.. BUT their 16v cams are pretty nice for turbo applications! After installing those things, we saw pretty decent gains... plus the added benifit of the thing reving like hell w/ no significant impact on the bottom end.

Anyway, back to T3's... I have a Super-60 T3 on my 8v (forgot the AR's) and if I remember correctly, it started getting inefficient right after 10psi or so... I dunno if 10psi will be enough to pull you to the 250 mark.

BTW, on the scirocco, he's running an ERL injector controlling w/ 4 extra injectors. Really nice dyno... then again, it's not motronic or digifucked so it's much easier to deal with...

good luck!

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 8:51 PM
from IP address 199.107.4.10

water injection
by steve
has anyone tried water injection on thier turbo cars. I am making a custom kit using a 5bar flowjet water pump and erl's atomizing water jet. anyone can make it and it should perform as well as erl's $500 dollar system for only $120. I figure with ceramic coated pistons and water injection you should be able to run high compression and high boost even on pump gas. if anyone has used this combination please let me know as this is the setup I'm goig to use on my 16v turbo.

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 12:29 AM
from IP address 157.89.46.110

Water Injection
by Rob
I know it sound's like a cliche but I'm currently building a turbo setup for my '80 Scirocco and am planning on adding water injection to the confusion. Rather than spend the time on building a kit for $130, I found a spearco kit at http://www.cnw.com/~redline/waterinjectionkit.htm for $155. The water pressure is a little lower, but if the spray is anywhere near the turbo, the air cavitation should take care of atomization.

Posted on Apr 21, 2000, 12:41 AM
from IP address 63.237.230.76

ceramic coated pistons
by steve
I have a set of 1.8 16v pistons that have been ceramic coated on the top and teflon coated on the skirts by high tech coatings, if anyone is interested I'm selling them for $200 or best offer . I've decided to do a 2.o liter 16v turbo instead My e-mail is stupeacs@hotmail.com

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 12:23 AM
from IP address 157.89.46.110

Turbos for sale
by Barry
Saab T-3 $70- good shape
Mitsubishi eclipse T-25 low miles- $150

Posted on Mar 16, 2000, 9:57 PM
from IP address 152.163.197.181

Turbo on e-bay
by Ragtop78
Hey all, I am the current high bidder on a turbo on e-bay....however I just won an auction for one yesterday from the same seller. You can now see my possible dilema.

It's a water cooled Garret T3 from an 88-90 Volvo....760 series. It could possibly be a Mitsubishi TD04 somehting er other, but I forgot to ask the seller. Current bid is like $68 to take me out.

Anyway, I don't need it and I need to get outbid cuz I hate backing out of auctions.

Thought one of you cheap bastards might want to know.

Posted on Mar 16, 2000, 8:32 PM

who sells....?
by vlksdragon

.....universal turbo piping?
I want to look into adding an intercooler
to my current set up, so I need to get some
different lengths and bends.
-Alex

Posted on Mar 16, 2000, 3:34 PM
from IP address 208.44.88.238

U bends
by Dolemite
Summit racing.com

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 1:51 AM
from IP address 209.204.91.172

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]