vwsport

VWsport.com
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:04 am 
Site Admin

no timeslip
by jerry
i didn't get to go to the track this weekend, so i don't have anything to show the group. i will go next weekend though.
hey justin, with bov, do you have one on your car? i don't lift when at the track. the rev limit holds the motor at 6000 and i just push the cluch and shift and let my foot slide off. on the street though, i'm sure it is hard on it. if i put one on the gti, where would i dump it? i have the vaf and it has already accounted for the air. any suggestions?

http://members.tripod.com/~vwturbo/gti.html

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 9:23 PM
from IP address 209.240.200.95

WOW
by Chuck B (UFO motorsports)
Are you trying to make me look bad,Everyone tells me I have some crazy ideas.Keep me informed of what your up to.Thanks.

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 7:44 AM
from IP address 216.17.11.123

VAF
by Dolemite
if i put one on the gti, where would i dump it? i have the vaf and it has already accounted for the air. any suggestions?

You just vent it back to the compressor inlet after the VAF so it's still "counted for"....

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 8:10 AM
from IP address 209.204.86.115

Blow Off Valves 101
by Dolemite
Alot of people ask what a BOV is and what does it do.....I posted this on the Turbocharged Newsgroup,But figured I'd post it here as well.....

When your turbo is producing boost there is pressure from your compressor discharge all the way to your intake valve,Now between shifts your throttle plate slams shut while your compressor wheel is trying to keep spinning to produce more boost,But meets resistance .Without a blow off valve, all of this pressurized air is forced BACKWARDS OUT the compressor INLET which is extremely hard on the bearings and main shaft.When you have a blow off valve all of this pressure is releived when the throttle closes leaving your turbo resistance free to keep building boost.Depending on the fuel injection you have the blow off vale is either vented into the atmosphere or into the compressor inlet,Past the mass air sensor to avoid any mismetering of air,Since it has already been "Accounted" for by the mass air sensor.By venting this type to the atmosphere you would get a severe rich condition since the fuel inj is adding fuel for this metered air that is no longer in the intake tract.Sometimes a blow off valve is often confused with a "Pop off valve" which is sometimes used as as safegaurd to prevent overboosting in the event of a wastegate malfunction.

--

Dolemite

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 1:01 PM
from IP address 209.204.75.212

pop off valve
by James
So where does the pop off valve go, how does it work? How many people are actually using one of these things?

James

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 12:00 AM
from IP address 209.134.132.15

Pop off
by Dolemite
They go on the intake maniffold and are usually used on F1 cars and such.I've never even seen one on a street car as they are unnescesary.If you can't tell you over boosting!!!!!!!!YOU gotta problem!!!

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 8:07 AM
from IP address 209.204.86.115

pop-off valves
by Anonymous
HKS used to sell them (still does?)
They can be used as a safety device. The pop-off is set for a slightly higher pressure than maximum boost. Then if your wastegate malfunctions and you over-boost, the pop-off opens and vents the extra pressure.

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 10:02 PM
from IP address 128.6.250.174

Pop off
by Jack
I run one on the street. Why wouldn't you? Has nothing to do with overboosting, that is the wastegates job. By the way F1 cars are not turbocharged. So they most likely do not use pop off valves.

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 1:13 AM
from IP address 161.184.105.78

Pop-off vs. bypass
by Anonymous
I think you are confusing a compressor by-pass valve (which doesn't limit boost) with a pop-off valve (which does.)
Several years ago, FI cars WERE turbo-charged, used pop-off valves, and could make 1300+ HP from 1.5L engines...

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 9:58 PM
from IP address 128.6.250.122

Ahh
by Jack
I see my idea of pop off and blow off valve were the same, thanks for the correction.

Posted on Mar 21, 2000, 10:53 PM
from IP address 161.184.104.117

what performance parts to rob from 16v for my 83 gti
by jason
I can pick up a 16 valve scirocco for cheap and wanted to check out the group and see what performance mods I could pick off of it for my 83 rabbit gti. so what conversions can be done?

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 9:36 AM
from IP address 152.163.194.192

1.8 16v
by Dolemite
If I were you......I'd get the car,Keep the long block and sell everything else to fund turbocharging that motor in your rabbit.

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 12:55 PM
from IP address 209.204.75.212

for jerry turbo ford component ?'s
by Deo Read
hey i have found a whole merkur ford turbo car at a junkyard..i got the fuelrail, turbo distributer..sensors, main computer, mass air, wiring harness..and intake blow off..what else do i need from that car to do the vw rabbit swap?..do i need the computer with the brown plug too?...how hard is the wiring ?...is that air flap mass air..decent?..kinda looks restrictive..? the injectors are brown topped..are these the 36lbs or 43hr?...mummn i'd like any help i can ..since it will be cool to beat the crap out of hondas..and i kinda need to get any other need parts from that car soon as they don't keep cars there long..so help me out so i can get this ball moving..hehhe
thanks a bunch!..
later deo
\x/ Hillfolk!!

Posted on Mar 11, 2000, 7:25 PM
from IP address 207.204.249.108

junk
by Chuck B (UFO )
Just get the turbo and possibly the injectors depending what you are doing.You are'nt going to put a motor in that crazy truck are you.

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 9:03 AM
from IP address 216.17.8.15

?????
by deo read
"just get the turbo and possibly the injectors depending what you are doing.You are'nt going
to put a motor in that crazy truck are you. "
what do you mean..I deo..don't have a crazy truck..ha..im just looking for some help on using the ford components in a vw application..etc
thanks
\x/ hillfolk!

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 10:45 AM
from IP address 207.204.249.101

JK.Ilike the truck
by Chuck B (UFO )
What motor are you starting with?

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 10:52 AM
from IP address 216.17.11.93

engines etc
by deo read
i have some choices here hehe..i have a lot of early gti 1.8Ls with low 8.5 to 1 compression..i have a 2.0L tallblock engine ,, and i have a 1.8t 20v head i am planning on modifying to run on the 2.0L tall block etc..i have a cross flow head also mummn i have lots of parts and stuff for projects laying around my garage ..now i am short on $ and time..now that my new job is kicking in i may have $ but i still have cummins dodge payment etc ..hehe my work/ tow vehicle..i'd like to gey my stuff moving soon..cool
thanks
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 6:57 AM
from IP address 207.204.249.74

16v
by Chuck B (UFO motorsports)
If you take the 16v head and bolt it to the tall block you should have about a 8.0-1 comp.All you have to do is clearance the pistons with reliefs for the intake valves.Collin at tectonics wll do it for $100.Thats what I'm building.We are building a junkyard monster.

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 7:50 AM
from IP address 216.17.11.123

Got the Clearance Clarence?
by Ragtop78
I've got the ABA block ready to go underneath a 1.8 16V head but....this clearance thing has me worried.

I was under the impression that there was no clearancing of the piston tops needed because the ABA pistons don't go as far up in the bore as the 16V pistions at the top of the stroke?

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 2:00 PM
from IP address 207.231.93.25

clearence
by Chuck B(UFO)
You should only have to clearence on the outside of the piston.You will need the euro 16v timing belt.ABD.has it for ?$40.Get your play dough and your dremel.

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 2:56 PM
from IP address 216.17.11.80

Outside?
by Ragtop78
Explain "outside of the piston"

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 3:23 PM
from IP address 207.231.93.25

outside
by Chuck B
The outer edges of the piston dish,that stick up flush with the top of the block.

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 5:21 PM
from IP address 216.17.11.108

ford conversion
by jerry
great!!! get the vane air if you haven't already. grab the coolant temp sensor and any other sensor you find(o2, knock). the brown top injectors are 36 lb/hr. the 43's i put in mine i had to take back out until i get the programmable chip for $350. did you get the fuel reg.? label all the connectors that you can identify. ihave a pin locator for the rest. grab the computer quick. you will need it. did it still have the turbo on it? grab the atmospheric sensor, little black thing that bolts to the passenger side tower. get the ignition coil. iac motor.

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 11:50 AM
from IP address 209.240.216.71

boots
by jerry
you have to find a tbird. you will need 2 of the 90 deg boots from under the breather. you will also have to order some 2 1/4 and 1 7/8 mandrel bent tubing from summit or someone. do you have access to a welding shop and a machine shop?
i'll eee the complete setup to you when i get the chance.

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 9:34 PM
from IP address 209.240.200.95

mummn
by deo read
hey i got the computer that says ieec etc on it and there is 2 others that were under there too...bulb check , and one that had a brown plug,,i just grabbed the big one with the ieec writing on it...it controls the ignition anf fuel injection..hey where is the knock sensor?...i have access to welding equipment and i know some decent local machines..i have my own lathe but i need a tool hold and a chuck for it ..ohwell..yeaH
EMAIL SOME INFOR WHEN YOU CAN..I have email you before a couple of months ago..thanks
deo

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 6:49 AM
from IP address 207.204.249.74

VW discussion
by Chuck B (UFO motorsports)MN.
This is easily the best board on the net.Every time my computer is on I end up here.I have no probs. giving people advice,even thoug I could make my $ knowing this stuff.If the info I give you guy's makes one HONDA look stupid it is all worth it.HEHEHE.I'm still the fastest front drive on the street in a city of 2.5 mil.And I'm running a carbed rabbit L.

Posted on Mar 11, 2000, 1:36 PM
from IP address 216.17.7.23

Best huh
by ZVW666
>>I'm still the fastest front drive on the street in a city of 2.5 mil.And I'm running a carbed rabbit L. <<

Is that right, whats your best et?

Zach

Posted on Mar 11, 2000, 6:01 PM
from IP address 152.163.204.66

carbed monster
Well we have just switched to a new motor so I don't have a quarter time on this one yet.Last year with a 2.0 tall block 1.8 solid lifter head,heavily ported with TT downpipe and exhaust,and dual webber 45 mm DCOE's.I did a 14.2 OH yea autotech sport solid lifter cam.This was a very under cammed and the gears were way to short.Funner than shit...Now it's a 2.0 DOHC with the DCOE's and the cams are 280deg.TT race down pipe and 16v rabbit conv.exhaust.Instead of changing the trans. to match the motor,I changed the motor to match the trans.I expect low 13's or better.And if that isn't enough I might blast in a butload of N2O.YUK YUK YUK YUK

Posted on Mar 11, 2000, 7:44 PM
from IP address 216.17.9.77

normally aspirated pump gas
I should have mentioned that in my last post.The fastest fwd car here is a Honda,but I built it.I can also beat him on the streat.HE HE HE

Posted on Mar 11, 2000, 7:50 PM
from IP address 216.17.9.77

were is it that u live?
by migvr6
Hardcore VW Group
what car do u have ?gti ?8v,16v,vr6?what times do u run?

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 3:57 AM
from IP address 152.201.154.135

beast
by Chuck B (UFO )
That wasn't very clear was it.It was a 8valve with carbs last year.This year It's a 16v with large cams and carbs.Were looking to get deep in the 13's.All motor pump gas.With full glass and interior.

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 8:52 AM

MN.
by Chuck B (UFO )
Minneapolis,StPaul MN.

Posted on Mar 12, 2000, 8:59 AM

oil pressure drop w/ synthetic
by lee
my current oil pressure is @
idle- 10-16lbs
3k rpm - 20- 22lbs
it rises a little as i speedup but this low worries me. i switched to mobil one 10/30syn, thinking synthetic is the way to go. i'm running forged pistons,etc
anyone suggest i should switch back to regular straight 40w ??
thanks again, Lee

Posted on Mar 9, 2000, 9:17 PM
from IP address 209.240.200.155

nitrous/ justin
by lee
hello,
i finally put nos on and had a scare yesterday.
when i hit the nos it backfired? why would this happen?
too much timing? its a autotech kit
it backfired into my intake, blowing off my vacuum lines etc...
thanks for any info from group,
LEE

Posted on Mar 9, 2000, 11:38 AM
from IP address 209.240.200.105

re: nos prob & nos parts
by Chris Taylor
Did you hit your rev limiter when your NOS blew up? Off the top of your head, that's the only thing I can think of. That's what an RPM switch (pricey) is for... it cuts off your nitrous after a certain RPM before your rev limiter kicks in. If nitrous is still flowing when your rev limiter cuts out spark, watch out when spark re-enacts... it'll blow that excess nitrous right out your intake.

I ran my kit w/o one cause I didn't have the bucks. I never hit the NOS in 1st (for fear that the tires would spin and I'd hit the rev limiter).

On another note, I have since yanked and sold my NOS kit. I have an unused (new in box) purge kit (universal fit), NOS part number 16030. I think I payed $45 for it, lookin to get $25. As I said, unused, new in box. Hit me at MrGixxer@hotmail.com if you want it

Chris Taylor
'96 Suzuki GSX-R750 SUPERBIKE
'90 Corrado VR6
'99 Ford F-150 superbike hauler

Posted on Mar 10, 2000, 9:29 PM
from IP address 208.138.115.102

autotech NOS kit
by Brandon
i had the same problem with my 16v, the problem was i thought that my sachs sport clutch would hold and it didn't,hit the NOS,clutch gave up the ghost and the engine reved way to fast redlined backfired,blew off lines and intake boot,bent the aiflow sensor and killed a cylinder all in one moment, but that gave me a reason to yank the 1.8 and put in a new 2.0l and installed a centerfoce dual friction clutch and MADE SURE MY TIMING WAS CORRECT. i still don't use the NOS in first though let me know how it's going

Posted on Mar 19, 2000, 1:51 PM
from IP address 205.188.192.187

nitrous
by lee
justin,
i finally put nos on and had a scare yesterday.
when i hit the nos it backfired? why would this happen?
too much timing? its a autotech kit
it backfired into my intake, blowing off my vacuum lines etc...
thanks for any info from group,
LEE

Posted on Mar 9, 2000, 11:37 AM
from IP address 209.240.200.105

N2o
by Dolemite
Unfortunately,I don't have any exp. with nitrous systems yet,I'll ask around and see if I can find out anything.A good place to start would be the dragracing NG theres alot of N2o guy's in there.
Justin

Posted on Mar 9, 2000, 5:15 PM
from IP address 209.204.90.123

Oil light blink constantly
by V-vROOOOm
My oil light blink constantly and when I'm drive the car under 2000rmp the buzzer would come on until I rev it above 2500 to 3000rmp. Can someone explain to me what I need to do and how do I stop the oil light from blinking all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Posted on Mar 8, 2000, 3:36 PM
from IP address 63.227.46.49

Low and High senders
by Dolemite
You have two oil pressure senders,One for low pressure @ low RPM and one for low pressure @ high RPM,You only need the one low pressure sender.If it's a S2 theres a small 3 pronged thing that goes bad on the instrument cluster that causes the same symptoms,Bottom line is be "SURE" you have adequate oil pressure before you use any backyard remedies.
Dolemite

Posted on Mar 8, 2000, 4:41 PM
from IP address 209.204.69.177

fuel pump buzz
by Vdub
Can anyone tell me why my fuel pump buzz. I have replace it once and it still buzz. When it gets hot the car would hesitate and die. I've also have replaced the transfer pump too. The problem still exist.....Help...

Posted on Mar 8, 2000, 1:26 PM
from IP address 63.227.46.49

BUZZ
put some gas in it.

Posted on Mar 9, 2000, 11:30 AM
from IP address 216.17.10.14

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]