vwsport

VWsport.com
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:58 am 
Site Admin

Texas VW Drag Racing Websites...
by HotrodVW
Hey guys,

If you're into VW racing, you may want to check out the following Texas VW drag racing sites:

http://www.bigwigracecars.com (that's my '57 Sedan)

http://www.txpra.com

http://www.tvwdra.org

Later,

<Eric

Posted on Feb 28, 2000, 11:30 AM
from IP address 216.203.165.22

Anyone Need a Mitsubishi Starion Intercooler?
by JC
Heyo. I have an intercooler from a turbo Starion/Dodge Conquest if anyone wants to buy it. I just bought a brand new one from Bell Engineering rather than trying to modify this one to fit my Rabbit. It's 7.5"x16". Let me know. I'd like $100 for it or best offer. Thanks

Posted on Feb 27, 2000, 1:46 AM
from IP address 216.67.2.93

question for DOLEMITE
by vw16v@020.co.uk
Dol-
I was wondering if you can give a resource and price breakdown for you complete turbo setup.
Also specs like boost,est hp,etc
Thanks,
ME Again

Posted on Feb 25, 2000, 10:30 PM
from IP address 216.214.82.144

Untitled
by Dolemite
>>I was wondering if you can give a resource and price breakdown for you complete turbo setup.<<

I don't have a price sheet but I can tell you we put the entire car together for about 5k and that includes the car,round headlight conversion, brand new Revolutions and a Quaife.I think the turbo system "parts" can be duplicated for about 2.5-3k.I'm not the originator of this low budget/high power system,I just copied what Paul had done the year before.
Mostly everything you need can be had from www.sdsefi.com I run conservative boost and programming on pump gas and then up the ante' on race fuel and run a total of 15 psi and more agressive programming.
I don't like to speculate power figures,I'm gonna try to dyno this spring.

Posted on Feb 26, 2000, 9:27 AM
from IP address 209.204.75.231

Power est.
by Dolemite
While I said I don't like to speculate on hp figures I can say that @ 65mph a downshift to 4th gear and WOT will result in both front wheels spinning (195/50/15 tires)
Dolemite

Posted on Feb 27, 2000, 5:58 PM
from IP address 209.204.69.62

Untitled
by Alan Thomson
hehe, that sounds like exactly what I'm after

Posted on Feb 27, 2000, 6:37 PM
from IP address 212.49.241.243

cheap turbo kit
by jerry
anyone can do a setup like mine for less
than a $1000. check out my website...
http://members.tripod.com/~vwturbo/gti.ht
ml

Posted on Mar 5, 2000, 1:10 AM
from IP address 209.240.216.64

Working on a BUDGET
by vw16v@020.co.uk
Anyone suggest some turbo resources for me?
I have been looking to get a turbo but havnt been able to find out whats the cheapest yet most effective way I saw in an aircooled mag they were selling reman t3 for like 200-299 area
than I was thinking what about a turbo like a mistibishi 16g from a junk yard I havnt yet learned about matching turbos to specific engines so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great I have a 2L 16v..
Also what type of Hp and boost can I make before I have to goto a DFI and aftermarket ignition and does anyone know if you can get one off another car or can I run the electronics off a newer vw with a programed chip to match my setup along with bigger injectors/fuel pump?
Thanks for all adivce,
ME

Posted on Feb 25, 2000, 10:28 PM
from IP address 216.214.82.144

Ah budget
by Chuck B (UFO motorsports)MN.
We are working on a junkyard turbo system very similar to what you are doing.

Posted on Mar 4, 2000, 9:09 PM
from IP address 216.17.12.195

budget turbo
by jerry
what kind of setup are you doing? pics, website, i'd like t check it out. i like the oddball setups.

Posted on Mar 7, 2000, 10:26 PM
from IP address 209.240.216.86

El Gato Retired?
by Anonymous
Word has it that El Gato has been retired to make way for a tube frame corrado. Not sure if this is true or not but interesting nonetheless. I have been less than successful gettng information on El Gato's setup. I know its a 2L 16v, turned logitudinal with a rear wheel drive (I believe ford 9" and a gm 2 spd powerglide but I could very well be wrong). Power estimates I had at one point but can't find them. Needless to say its a good but.

Posted on Feb 25, 2000, 4:31 PM
from IP address 151.198.123.4

el gato
by jerry
i heard that he got a bad mix of nitro methane and caught fire during some practic runs. he got burned a little and the car needs rebuilding. i haven't heard any new plans. i'll ask around.
http://members.tripod.com/~vwturbo/gti.html

Posted on Mar 5, 2000, 1:15 AM
from IP address 209.240.216.64

Gato
by Dolemite
That was the end of the 98 season that happened.The car is back together and repainted.The car is now named "Gato" I saw a pic one night but didn't save it,I'm sure he'll be at Atco in July for the Pan American Nationals,So I'll get more pics and info then.

Posted on Mar 7, 2000, 9:26 PM
from IP address 209.204.91.170

Turbo oil drain
by James
Hey guys,

Where is the best place for the turbo oil drain? Where is the highest point of the oil level under wot? Callaway turbo manual suggests drilling a hole in the block, hopefully there a safe level on the oil pan?

Thanks for comments on your setups
James

Posted on Feb 25, 2000, 3:25 PM
from IP address 209.134.132.15

oil drain back etc
by deo read
yeah the oil pan is safe..the factory turbo diesel engines use the oil pan .at top near the rail etc..i believe the new turbo engines use it also..
best of luck
\x/hillfolk

Posted on Feb 25, 2000, 3:31 PM
from IP address 207.204.249.75

Oil drain
by Anonymous
The pan is fine. Just make sure to keep it above the normal level of oil in the pan. I would mock the turbo up first as well and then design the drain to be as straight as possible. Gravity is all you have to get that oil back into the pan and thus the engine. You don't want the line backing up and no oil draining back out. That would be bad. Be careful of clearance for the driveshaft and whatever else may be in the way in your application. Avoid any sharp turns or kinks in the line and you should be fine. The block may be the ideal but one I would have a hard time taking a drill to a perfectly good block, and two then you have to take the whole thing apart to clean out the shavings. Fine if you are doing a full rebuild, not so good if you are just bolting on a turbo.

Posted on Feb 25, 2000, 4:27 PM
from IP address 151.198.123.4

Oil drain
by Steffen J
I would strongly recommend you to drill the hole in the block.
Under normal driving the oil level will be below the top of the oil pan (if you drill the hole there) But if you accelerate hard your oil will move to the back of the pan , and you will block the oil from running freely.
You can use splashguard to prevent some of this.

Posted on Feb 28, 2000, 5:12 AM
from IP address 158.37.85.63

Drillin' like a mofo
by James
Ok so someone else mentioned that the stock turbo diesel cars have the drain in the pan. I assume this is the same pan as the na cars? Is there a special oil baffle on TD cars or what?

I can drill in the block, but if I don't have to, I am not going to.

Does anyone know about where the oil level is in the pan?

Thanks a lot
James

Posted on Feb 29, 2000, 9:12 PM
from IP address 209.134.132.15

Drillin' the pan
by Dolemite
On our cars we just went up as high as we could and over to the passenger side as much as we could also to try to avoid winding the outlet,(Throwing oil into it as it's trying to drain)

Posted on Mar 2, 2000, 7:26 PM
from IP address 209.204.86.200

Baffle plate
by Turbo
Yes the TD cars has a baffle plate and a splash guard.
So go safe and drill a hole in the block.
I went with a hole in the block and a hole in the oil pan, and a baffled oil pan!

Posted on Mar 4, 2000, 4:25 PM
from IP address 130.67.193.9

IceFest and Phantom Grip
by Anonymous
Not sure if any of you guys were planning on attending but IceFest at 1552 Design (Formerly Vw Sport) has been postponed. They are shooting for a date in April sometime. While I am not a huge show fan this was one of the better get togethers last year. Jim Chu was there with his turbo vr6, as was Brian ? with his blue turbo vr6. Jack with the supercharged vr6 2door a2 jetta was there as well. Good place to pick up some tech and look at some pretty nice cars. 1552 had their Rallye Golf they imported over from England there as well. Def. worth the trip. Not going to happen the 5th of March as scheduled. That makes the VW show and Go at E-town the first show and race. Hope to see everyone out there flexing their vw's. Lame 1/8 mile racing again this year, but the full 1/4 will be open during practice sessions.
On a side not anyone know anything about Clutch Master's Phantom Grip LSD? I know the Honda guys were talking it up but haven't heard any actual user testimony that I can recall. I ask because they supposedly have a vr6 application now. Hopefully they could be persuaded to do an o2o application as well. Just another alternative. I think for Honda's they are $300 or so. Much cheaper than a quaiffe. Of course you still need to take you tranny apart, and the phantom grip utilizes your stock diff (bolt kit would be a must) instead of replacing it like a quaiffe but it could be an option. Just wondering if anyone out there had any info on it.

Posted on Feb 23, 2000, 11:20 AM
from IP address 151.198.123.199

16V-turbo web sites
by DannyBoy
Does anyone know of any other 16Vturbo web sites out there????

This one is the best I have seen yeat..
Seems like there are not enough posts, but at least everytime I have questions and post them here I always get GOOD and informative responses!!!

Keep a good thing going guy's!!!!!!!

THANX!!!

Dan

Posted on Feb 23, 2000, 3:50 AM
from IP address 216.154.51.120

84 GTI
by Nick
I've got some question for you if you would be kind to answer. I've got a 1.8 liter engine which has and 2.5" exhaust already, g grind cam, larger throttle body w/intake manifold that matches, k&n air filter, and the head just got reworked because i warper it a couple months ago. my question is when the kits come out for a turbo for my car what else would i have to do to my engine to work with the turbo? would i need to lower the compression or not seeing that it's still stock in that aspects? and would there be any other modification i would need. Your help would be aprreciated.

Posted on Feb 22, 2000, 12:22 PM
from IP address 24.29.34.222

turbo stuff
by deo read
if its the stock '84 gti bottom end its already got 8.5:1 compression good for a boosted car..you need to figure out a fuel system to run on the engine and i would get a real good oilcooler your 2.5" exhaust is a good diameter for the turbo..maybe make a 3" down pipe from the turbo to meet your 2.5" exhaust..mummn lighten up your car,,..good luck!
later vw hillfolk!

Posted on Feb 22, 2000, 2:39 PM
from IP address 207.204.249.80

Turbo stuff
by Chuck B (UFO motorsports)MN.
You actually have two choices on fuel,you could use the audi 5k warmup regulator or the 924 turbo airflow meter.Also I highly recomend the Knock sensing ignition.

Posted on Mar 4, 2000, 9:19 PM
from IP address 216.17.12.195

Another 16v turbo site
by Shawn M.
Found this new site on a 16v turbo--- check it out!
http://hometown.aol.com/bhjettacp/index.html

Posted on Feb 21, 2000, 11:42 PM
from IP address 205.188.200.58

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]